<$BlogRSDUrl$>
the 'Fist' & the 'Pacifist'
Though my soul may set in darkness, it shall rise in perfect light,
I have loved the stars too fondly, to be fearful of the night.
Monday, June 07, 2004
Carnations in a jute flower basket

At Lunch break today, I took a stroll down to the ATM. On the way back, I noticed a small little flower shop, operating out of a literally 2m by 2m space. Outside the shop, was this little boy, still a junior school-er, in a red basketball T and black shorts. The flower vendor was putting together an arrangement of Carnations, white, lemon yellow and a very light pink hue. The boy stood there, intently looking at the flower Vendors swift hands. The boy had his hands by his side, his fist clenched; I could see currency notes peek from the edge of his closed fist.

I went up to the kid and said a friendly, “Hi”, he didn’t acknowledge me with open arms; the whole don’t-talk-to-strangers bit was at work. I asked him whether he was buying that arrangement?
He said “Yeah”.
“Who you buying it for?”
“Its my Mothers birthday”.

And then he smiled, a silly excited smile, and then almost immediately aware that I was after all “a stranger”, he put on the dourest look he could muster.

I kind of waited for a while, till the flower arrangements was ready. Carnations in a jute flower basket. It really did look grand.
3 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home
/ permalinkPermalink