<$BlogRSDUrl$>
the 'Fist' & the 'Pacifist'
Though my soul may set in darkness, it shall rise in perfect light,
I have loved the stars too fondly, to be fearful of the night.
Friday, July 02, 2004
Of Mickey Blue Eyes, the invertebrate U.N and Hazel Contact Lenses!

Was reading an article on the excesses of the UN/UN backed forces over the years. There was this bit about the excesses of Italian soldiers posted in Somalia during the civil war, well the soldiers came, kept peace and left, having successfully sown their seeds, as it were. Records of troops committing rape and plunder in Somalia, would make the excesses in Iraq look like a garden party gone a tad awry.

Along with the article was this photograph of a Somali woman, dark skinned, haggard and impoverished, holding in her arms a child - dark skin, brown-black hair and blue eyes. Yes, blue eyes. Obviously the fallout of Italian Soldiers "sowing their seeds", and all of that.
I wonder why the goddamned plunderers in army fatigues aren't tried and punished? I mean, hello it's the U.N, aint it? Not the friendly neighborhood lending library.

Hmm...the Eagles in the "Last Resort",

Brought the white man's burden down
Brought the white man's reign...


I looked at that photograph, for a long while. Piercing blue eyes, set against dark skin.
Could be straight out of a 'United Colors of Benetton' advert. How sardonic, how ironic.

Aside from all of this, my mind wandered to a fest I had once attended when I was in school. A particular girl, whose name now escapes me, wore different colored contact lenses on each of the three days of the fest. A light hazel on a Friday, gave way to an emerald green on Saturday. For that one weekend she was the cynosure of many eyes, un-modestly flaunting her newfound 'look'. It had brought a smile to my lips then, but now I laughed, hard and loud.

Who will provide the grand design?
What is yours and what is mine?
'Cause there is no more new frontiers
We have got to make it here

We satisfy our endless needs and
justify our bloody deeds,
in the name of destiny and the name
of God


I wonder what Mickey blue eyes will grow up to be?

Labels:

6 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home
/ permalinkPermalink