<$BlogRSDUrl$>
the 'Fist' & the 'Pacifist'
Though my soul may set in darkness, it shall rise in perfect light,
I have loved the stars too fondly, to be fearful of the night.
Tuesday, November 09, 2004
A Birthday and four Candles of Thought

It’s a week since my birthday (nearly), friends have often told me “You think too much for…my own good”. My usual repartee is generally a pithy like “We are… because we think”, delivered with an erudite and contemplative sigh. Not that I live by the maxim or something, but it serves its purpose as a conversational equivalent of a “Stone cold stunner”.

Anyways coming back to the birthday, birthdays have always given me occasion to “think” more than what is usual. Birthday week has generally been a week of thought. The celebration and the contemplation all at once creates a frame of mind congruous to the Mar de Gras revelry smack in the middle of Ramazan.

Well I didn’t make any Birthday resolutions or something, realizations and revelations were more the order of the day.

1. As a child I believed that 10% of the world is abnormal and 90% were nice regular people. But now I know this is a statistical fallacy, the truth is that 10% of the world is normal and an overwhelming 90% is abnormal. In which silo of this statistical distribution I find myself, is another matter all together.

2. While hindsight is indeed 20/20, it is rather difficult to get oneself to look behind the left shoulder. Not that we are drenched in positivism and are forward-looking by nature, just that we often don’t have the “balls” to look back. And yes “Look back in anger” is more than just a fine book, movie and stage production.

3. We will never really know what we “want” in life, so we just basically have to expose ourselves to multifarious people and situations, to know what really works for us and what doesn’t.

4. At age 25 I find my set of values, beliefs and convictions at odds with those of a large number of people. I shudder to believe how incredibly “out of sync” ill be when I am 50.