<$BlogRSDUrl$>
the 'Fist' & the 'Pacifist'
Though my soul may set in darkness, it shall rise in perfect light,
I have loved the stars too fondly, to be fearful of the night.
Thursday, April 14, 2005

The Oracular 'S'

The smoke rose like spirals, abandoning their cryptic definition and withering away into the night. This wasn't the first time I had seen 'S' smoke. I had been surprised the first time though, but had successfully feigned indifference. Not that I had 'issues' with either men or woman smoking, but 'S' didn't look the 'smoking type'...you know what I mean? But, frankly she contradicted every 'type' one would assume she is.

Yeah 'S' is a shrink. And affection aside, she is a real good one.

"How does it work? I mean what's it like...is it like being a clairvoyant with a degree?"

"No", she said with that child like chortle-laugh.

"Its like anything else... like research, like science...you identify a pattern... and your works done".

The little shrug of the shoulder. A 'shrink' in a little black strapless number, who I could talk to in 'Bong'. It felt like the phase in super-hero comic books, when the guy next door first begins to discover his powers.

"But I mean you aren't looking to break the guy down to a formula, you aren't exactly looking for e=mc2? You are looking at broad categories, right? What if you are prejudiced? What if you are trigger-happy and plonk him in one of your 'favorite little categories'? Basically what I am hitting at is... how can you be objective all the time?"

Like always 'S' had been listening intently. I always had questions for her. I have always been intrigued about the way shrinks and moviemakers work, at one point I was curious about authors and poets too, but since I now write myself...the profession has lost quite a bit of its inscrutability.

"That's because I am not being emotional, sweetheart...I am not listening to my best friend admitting he is 'gay'. They are patients, I have to listen to their problems and help them...I don't have to feel it in the way I feel about the rest of the world. I have to feel professionally...its simple."

I held her soft and dainty hands. She put down her wine goblet.

What does it mean when someone kisses 'open-eyed'? I got to ask her this one too.
Maybe it means nothing
... maybe one of them is keeping their eyes on the road ...

Labels:

8 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home
/ permalinkPermalink