<$BlogRSDUrl$>
the 'Fist' & the 'Pacifist'
Though my soul may set in darkness, it shall rise in perfect light,
I have loved the stars too fondly, to be fearful of the night.
Wednesday, May 18, 2005
Suddenly Stonehenge...

Street, Somerset is two hours down the M5 from Heathrow.
As soon as we hit the countryside, the Rolling Meadows and fields stretched on forever. Having lived in the plains, the landscape flanking major highways and rail tracks is usually flat lands, extending as far as the eyes go.

But this was different, almost as if an artist had run his brush in an undulating continuum. The lush green fields dotted with grazing cattle, interspaced with bright yellow farming tracts of rapeseed and mustard. Nature's eclectic palette.

Most of the way, I floated in and out of sleep. Whenever I woke up, I took in an eyeful of the rolling countryside and then promptly slipped back into slumber.

One of those times, I opened my eyes, to see that we were driving up a gradual incline. For as far as the eyes could see, were fields of green and yellow. It almost felt like cruising in a helicopter, with man's untouched earth stretching on till the end of the world. The car steadily mounted the incline, and the landscape seemed to open out even further. The road soon forked into two divergent paths, and at the vast center of the fork, one could discern large stones arranged in a semi circle.
It was Stonehenge!

It felt surreal, vast meadows and fields and unexpectedly at the heart of all this, the stones of Stonehenge. If it weren't so real, if it didn't stretch across the windscreen, I would say I was being fanciful.

Suddenly Stonehenge.

Labels: