<$BlogRSDUrl$>
the 'Fist' & the 'Pacifist'
Though my soul may set in darkness, it shall rise in perfect light,
I have loved the stars too fondly, to be fearful of the night.
Saturday, June 25, 2005
Me been tagged...!

I have the distinction of having been 'tagged' by Ani. Yes there are some Questions which need answering, and I will do so posthaste.

Number of Books I own...
Gees, never really counted.
My mom studied literature so she had tons, then every birthday and anniversary, dad gave mom books. And they have all now been handed over to me. Every year since class three, I was taken by the folks to the book fair, till I think class seven, after which I went solo.
Generally, buy a book every few months.
So ballpark, it would be a thousand plus books maybe?

Last Book I Bought...


The Plague, Albert Camus.
Hmm, well to use a cliché it’s a multi threaded experience. It’s the personal story of men and woman intertwined with the story of Oran, the town they inhabit. Its subtle, strong, passionate, weak, it’s like life itself.


Last Book I Read...

‘The Waiting’, Ha Jin.
It’s about an affair between a middle aged doctor (well married with a child) and a young nurse, set against the backdrop of Red china. Communism and above all Destiny dictates their rites of passage. It also highlights the fact - that when we do find love, it’s often at a significant cost. Tragic, hopeful and touching.


Five Books that mean a lot to me...

Love in the Times of Cholera, Gabriel Garcia Marquez.
I for one feel that Florentino Ariza deserved way better than he got, and yes the
Smell of bitter almonds is almost a mental map. Finished the book in Koln, sitting on the banks of the Rhine. Watching steam ships trundle across.
'And how long do you think we can keep up this coming and going?'

Florentino Ariza had kept his answer ready for fifty- three years, seven months and eleven days and nights.
'Forever', he said.

Great Expectations
Was my class XII text, loved it! I have this pet theory, that Estella is in fact all that we know is wrong to desire, but surprisingly can’t help ourselves.

Of Human Bondage
Yeah, we are bound to each other in strange and inexplicable ways.

And bringing up the rear are Catcher in the Rye and English August. Catcher in the Rye cause it is cult book, and there is tons of dope I dug up about this book. English August, well it’s the first book by an Indian author in English, which is about us, our generation. Yeah I know we are getting old.


Labels: